Northern College is a specialist designated institution (SDI) as defined by the Further and Higher Education Act 1992. The College is a company limited by guarantee (company number 1339524) incorporated on 18 November 1977 and a registered charity (charity number 507245). Members of the Board of Governors are also members and directors of the company and trustees of the charity.
The College is governed by a Board of Governors who are collectively responsible for:
- determining the long term strategy and educational character of the College;
- stewardship of the public assets and funds it holds;
- ensuring the effective and efficient use of its resources, and making sure that use is in line with the objects of the company/charity and for the benefit of the public;
- ensuring its continued solvency;
- monitoring and constructively challenging performance;
- ensuring the effective performance of its legal and regulatory duties.
The governors carry out this role in line with the Seven Principles of Public Life (or Nolan Principals) of selflessness, integrity, accountability, objectivity, honesty, openness and leadership.
Mr Bob Harrison is chair of the company. Mr Bob Harrison and Mr Clive Macdonald are co-chairs of the Board of Governors and Cllr Ken Richardson is Vice Chair of the Board of Governors.
Non-members are welcome to observe the annual general meeting of the company which is held in December each year. Members of the public wishing to attend should inform the Clerk to the Governors prior to the meeting.
Use the tabs on this page to find out more about the College’s legal status and governance framework, the constitution and membership of the Board of Governors and its committees and to access key documents. You can also access the approved minutes of past meetings, meeting schedules and details of how to contact the Clerk to the Governors.