Free online courses for everyone!
These free online courses are open to anyone and are designed to introduce you to a range of subjects through an e-learning experience before committing to one of our longer traditional courses.
You don’t have to apply for these courses, you can just CLICK HERE TO ENROL and start your learning journey!
Here’s just some of the courses available:
- Employability skills – Whether you’re looking for your first job, have been out of work for a while or are even looking for a change in career, this bundle of resources will help you kick start your job search.
- Digital literacy skills – Digital literacy skills are a must-have in a world which is increasingly becoming online and virtual. This course is an introduction to the skills required for those taking their initial steps in using ICT and the internet and is a starting point for further study.
- Numeracy skills – Ideal for learners working at Entry Level 3, who might have some gaps in their maths knowledge and/or skills. This course will give you confidence to take a more formal and accredited course at this level.
- Staying safe online – With the internet viewed as an increasingly vital part of daily life, e-Safety or internet safety is just as important for adults as it is for children. From privacy concerns to identity theft, there are plenty of hazards on the internet, but here at Northern College we want to ensure everyone feels comfortable and safe online and have designed this course to help you protect yourself and your family online.
- Enterprise Skills Level 2 (part 1) – Are you considering self employment or starting your own business? This two-part taster course will help you explore what a start-up business needs to take into consideration in the early stages. Part one explores what makes a business successful, how to evaluate and take risks, funding opportunities available for start-ups and how to recognise potential competitors, suppliers and customers.
- Enterprise Skills Level 2 (part 2) – In this second part of our two-part taster course in Enterprise Skills, you will continue to build on your knowledge of what a start-up business needs to take into consideration in the early stages. You will also explore and identify profitable ideas, how to grow your business and how to monitor and maintain your business once it is up and running.
- Maths Level 2 refresh – Good maths skills are an essential part of everyday life and this course will assist learners working at Level 2 who might have some gaps in their knowledge and/or skills. It has been split into 3 separate areas; fractions and percentage, number and BIDMAS, perimeter, area and volume.
- English skills (part 1) – This micro course has been designed as the first part of a two part offer, and it will assist learners working at Entry Level 3 who might have some gaps in their knowledge and/or skills. Once completed you can continue-on to part 2.
- English skills (part 2) – This micro course is the second of a two part offer to assist learners working at Entry Level 3 who might have some gaps in their knowledge and/or skills. This course should improve your skills and confidence to take a more formal and accredited course at this level.
- Am I ready for an Access to Higher Education course? – If you’re new to studying as an adult or have not studied for some time, you may feel worried about taking that next step into higher education (or HE for short), that’s why we’ve broken the process down into manageable bite-size chunks in this free taster course to help you understand if HE is right for you.
- English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) – Good language skills are important, and this micro course covers some of the essentials needed to develop English language skills at a basic level. It presents you with an ideal opportunity to improve your skills and your confidence before studying in a more formal manner.
- Covid-19 and safer workplaces – a guide for UNISON members – Covid-19 and the lockdown has left UNISON members feeling concerned, anxious, even stressed. This Micro Course has been designed to help plan what steps you will need to take, and how you can ensure you and your members are being as safe and risk aware as possible.
All of the Micro Courses can be accessed via a computer, laptop or other mobile device (eg iPad or smart phone).
If you need any advice or support regarding our programme of Micro Courses then please contact our Student Services Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org