After a long programme of detailed work to ensure our college is safe and compliant with all government legislation, we are pleased to announce that we will be ready to welcome students back onto campus from 21 September.
We plan to begin delivering our long course provision from week commencing 21 September, and our short courses from October 2020. The dates we have planned, assuming no change to national guidelines that further impact on our plans, are as follows:
- Level 3 Access – to commence as planned week of 21/09/2020
- Higher Education – to commence as planned week of 21/09/2020
- Level 2 Pre Access – this will start after October half term 2020
- Short Courses – remote delivery until October 2020, and then we will run short courses also back on campus
There may be some minor variations on these dates, which are course dependent and will be published on the website’s online prospectus.
For example, some long accredited provision was always planned to start later in the year – so please check our website for updates.
Sign up to our free newsletter for further college updates and details of new courses here.
Before this time and when our campus re-opens, you can also continue to benefit from online short courses and micro taster sessions we have developed to support our students in their education remotely during Covid-19 social isolation measures.
We will continue to monitor and align with Government guidelines. This means that if there are any subsequent changes to Government guidelines which impact on these plans, we will communicate these as soon as possible. This will be via our website, social media channels, and via individual correspondence to students who are booked onto our courses.
Our forward planning put us in an excellent position to continue to support our students remotely over the Summer, and to ensure we are Covid secure and ready for your return. We would like to thank you for your continued support and messages to say you cannot wait to return to study with us.
We look forward to supporting you to change your life through adult education at Northern College, and welcoming you onto campus.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I apply for a course for when your campus re-opens?
In terms of course applications, it has remained business as usual and we have had many people come to us to arrange to study at Northern College over the Summer. We are continuing to take applications and you can apply over the phone or online for provision starting from September.
For anyone looking for higher qualifications, we still have places on our Access to Higher Education courses in Computing, Health Science Professions, Policing, Action for Social Change and Humanities & Social Science, which all start in September 2020.
We also offer a range of Teacher Education courses starting at level 3 all the way up to degree level.
Your options to book are:
- Telephone 01226 776 000 where our reception team, working remotely, will be there to answer your call. They can also arrange a telephone appointment with our student services team.
- You can also search for and apply for a course online via our website www.northern.ac.uk– This is easy to do and will help us to process your application quickly.
- You can learn more about our courses, the funding support available, and the incredible facilities for adults who choose to study Northern College, on our website at www.northern.ac.uk
We are also holding a series of online virtual open days for these and other courses. Information about these open days will be published on our website, social media channels, e-newsletter and in the college ‘news’ section at www.northern.ac.uk/about-us/news/
You can also subscribe to our newsletter for updates at: https://mailchi.mp/91d9266d8f90/northerncollege
I want to know more about the short online courses and micro taster courses running over the Summer. Can I still do these and how do I apply?
Yes, we would encourage you to access our free online courses prior to the campus re-opening too, before you join us later in the year.
Whether you’re struggling to grow your community group, need news skills to enhance your employability, or simple fancy learning something new to give you a sense of control and help you maintain a healthy wellbeing during these uncertain times, here’s what’s on offer:
Online short courses
- Counselling for Beginners ~ 22nd – 23rd July
- Introduction to Criminology ~ 25th – 26th July
- Introduction to Databases ~ 27th – 28th July
- Get Active: the health benefits of exercise ~ 28th – 29th July
- Functional Maths – Level 1 ~ 27th July – 19th August
- Functional Maths – Level 2 ~ 27th July – 19th August
- Introduction to Spreadsheets ~ 20th – 21st August
- Introduction to Leadership and Team Skills ~ 15th – 16th August
We also update this list regularly, and these updates are published on our website.
In addition to our online Short Courses, the college has some new Micro Courses on offer, which are free to everyone and a great way to dip your toe back in to education. You can start these courses whenever you like and finish them in your own time, plus there is no limit to how many you complete.
Here’s just some of the Micro courses on offer:
- Employability skills
- Numeracy skills
- Maths – Level 2 refresh
- English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)
- English skills (part 1 & 2)
- Digital literacy skills
You can find out more about these courses and enrol straight on to the course in a few easy steps via this link https://www.northern.ac.uk/courses/micro-courses/
If you are not sure which course is best for you, or need some course advise, don’t hesitate to get in touch on 01226 776 000 or email our student services team on firstname.lastname@example.org
I had booked a room for meetings/event – will it still run?
Unfortunately, when our campus closed during Covid-19 restrictions we had to cancel many bookings our customers had with us, to rebook as soon as government guidance allowed.
We are contacting our valued customers individually who may have planned to hold events on our site during this time, in order to reschedule.
If you want to hold an event with us in the future, do not hesitate to contact us. We will then take your details to advise you as soon as we have a date when new bookings can be taken for this next academic year.
If you have any further questions about returning to the campus or applying for a course, don’t hesitate to contact us https://www.northern.ac.uk/contact-us/