The Functional Skills qualifications are based around skills needed for
On this course, you will develop your practical English skills, whilst also gaining a nationally recognised qualification.
This course will help you to improve your reading, writing and verbal communication skills in real-life contexts.
You will develop skills and knowledge enabling you to:
- Improve your spelling
- Develop your communication skills and confidence
- Read and understand a range of texts
- Develop your skills to create texts such as notes, letters, emails, blogs, reports and leaflets
- Improve your grammar and punctuation.
Depending on your previous experience and knowledge you will begin your studies at either Level 1, Level 2 or at entry level 3.
What can this course lead to?
Functional Skills are a nationally recognised qualification.
Level 2 Functional Skills are now regularly accepted by employers and universities as equivalent to GCSE English grade 4 (previously known as grade C).
If you are looking gain a Functional Skills Level 2 qualification so that you can attend a specific university course, please do check the entry requirements for the university course as while most universities will accept a functional skills level 2 some course pathways require a GCSE.
If you are not sure if you need a functional skills or GCSE qualification, please do contract us for an Advice and Guidance appointment where we can discuss the various options with you.
Course session dates
- Monday 13 May 2024 to Tuesday 14 May 2024
- Monday 20 May 2024 to Tuesday 21 May 2024
- Monday 03 Jun 2024 to Tuesday 04 Jun 2024
- Monday 10 Jun 2024 to Tuesday 11 Jun 2024
- Monday 17 Jun 2024 to Tuesday 18 Jun 2024
- Monday 24 Jun 2024 to Tuesday 25 Jun 2024
- Monday 01 Jul 2024 to Tuesday 02 Jul 2024
- Monday 08 Jul 2024 to Tuesday 09 Jul 2024
Depending on your personal circumstances you may be eligible for financial support associated with attending college such as travel, books or resources.
Further information is available on the Fees & Funding section on the college website or if you have any additional queries contact us using the details and the bottom of this page.